Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

CARL: User Services


Getting a Library Card:

All library accounts are family accounts, set up under the sponsor's name. Only a sponsor or the spouse of a sponsor with a valid DoD ID are eligible to set up a library account. To check out materials and to view our licensed databases you need to have a library card. A person must meet one of the following criteria with appropriate identification:

  • Members of the military and their spouses stationed at Fort Leavenworth                     
  • Resident CGSOC, SAMS, and ASLSP Students
  • Fort Leavenworth civilian employees to include Faculty and Instructors
  • Contractors with valid Fort Leavenworth CAC cards
  • Members of National Guard, retired military members or retired civilian employees living within a 50 mile radius of Leavenworth
  • Employees of USD 207
  • TDY personnel to include CES and PCC attendees with a valid DoD ID on Temporary Duty at Fort Leavenworth (will check out materials with DoD ID)

Anyone who does not meet one of the above criteria can request permission to check out material. Approval is made on a case by case basis.

TDY Personnel are not issued library cards, but will check out from the Circulation desk with their ID. *Check out period is up to but not to exceed the end of the TDY period.

Non-Resident CGSOC Students are not eligible for a library account (unless fitting into an alternate category listed under "Others"). Non-Resident CGSOC students are not eligible to check out from the CGSC CORE or CGSC Electives collections even if fitting into an alternate category.  Non-Resident students can gain access from home to the CARL's databases by visiting the "Master Library and CGSC Resources" link on Blackboard.  Non-Resident students may borrow materials from the main collection through interlibrary loan (see Interlibrary Loan for Nonresidents tab).


For any questions, please call the Circulation desk at 913-758-3001 or use the Ask a Librarian feature.

Are There Other Libraries Nearby I Have Access To? 

Yes!  Being a resident or working in Kansas gains you access to a Kansas State Library Card, which you can obtain by asking for one at our Circulation desk.  Learn more about the Kansas State Library at their website. 

The Leavenworth Public Library is also nearby. They have physical and virtual collections to choose from.  Find out more about their digital resources on their website.

Can I Access MWR Resources Here?

The CARL is not a Moral Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Library, but we can still help you gain access to virtual resources. 

The DoD MWR Digital Library provides online resources for Military families, soldiers, retirees, and DoD civilians for recreation, professional development, and academic support. Each branch of service has their own login portal that pulls from DEERS. All you need is your CAC and birthday to log in (family members under 12 will not have access to their own accounts, but will be able to use a sponsors account).


Borrowing Privileges:

Renewals: You may renew most items up to 2 times if no other borrowers have requested it. To renew:

  •   Visit the Circulation desk – The borrower must verify they are still in possession of the titles they are requesting to renew
  •   Visit the "My Account" tab on the library's online catalog and log in with your library barcode number to renew before the due date.
  •   Call 913-758-3001 - a limited number of items may be eligible for a phone renewal

Requests/Holds: A request can be made by a borrower on an item that is checked out. Patrons will be notified when the item is available and the item will be held at the Circulation desk for 10 days. Only items with no copies on the shelves will be processed for holds.

Overdue, Lost and Damaged Items: The CARL charges no overdue fees. Failure to return library items within the time limits specified and/or failure to pay for materials lost by the borrower may result in suspension of library services to include borrowing of further materials, use of databases and other services. Privileges are restored after recalled or overdue items are returned, renewed or replaced. For information about the CARL's item replacement policy, visit the Circulation desk.

Reserves and Course Materials: Course Reserve Collections can be set up by instructors with library materials for which there is a demand during a course. Materials may be placed on reserve or In Library Use Only depending upon availability of the items at the discretion of the instructor. If items are available in the library’s collections to be placed on reserve, please allow a minimum of two weeks from when the items need to be available. If materials need to be purchased, please allow for a minimum of 6 weeks.

Out-Processing/Clearing: All Resident CGSOC students out-processing/clearing from Fort Leavenworth are required to out-process the library before leaving. Before departure, all library items must be returned or replaced if lost or damaged. The library participates in the centralized out-processing for the students.

Wireless Access

Free Wi-Fi is available in Library.  To use CARL's wireless network, select the access point named "Army University" in the available networks on your device.

Please be advised that:

  • The Library is not responsible for ensuring the privacy of information transferred over the network. Virus and security protection is the patron's responsibility.
  • The Library assumes no responsibility for damage, theft, or loss of equipment, software, data files or other personal property brought into the Library's facilities.
  • There is no guarantee of wireless access at any specific time or with any specific equipment. Service disruptions may occur, and some equipment may not be compatible. Service may not cover the entire library building.
  • The Library does not guarantee access to every Internet site using the Wi-Fi connection. 

Community computers - 1st floor

  • Anyone is welcomed to use the community computers on the first floor.
  • 1st floor computers are CAC card enabled – anyone with a CAC card can use the CAC readers on these computers.
  • Community computers are NOT allowed any external device connected to them (thumb drives, laptops, etc.).
  • All computers will automatically restart 5 minutes before closing, this procedure deletes any files saved on the desktop or hard drive.

Student computers - 2nd floor

  • Student computers on the second floor are connected to the NIPR and are NOT allowed any external device connected to them (thumb drives, laptops, etc.).
  • 2nd floor student computers are CAC card enabled – CGSC students, faculty and staff with a CAC card can use the CAC readers on these computers.
  • DoD guest accounts cannot print or use the DVD drive.
  • All computers will automatically restart 5 minutes before closing, this procedure deletes any files saved on the desktop or hard drive.


  • Microsoft Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome and Firefox
  • Microsoft Word 2016
  • Microsoft Excel 2016
  • Microsoft PowerPoint 2016
  • Microsoft Publisher 2016 (2nd floor computers only)
  • Microsoft Access 2016

Copiers/Printers/Digital Senders

All copiers/printers on the 1st floor and the student copier/printer on the 2nd floor are able to scan and digitally send information to any email address.

Note: Staff members do not print out assignments, government documents, etc., for students.



The library has a flat board scanner at the microform reader area on the 1st floor.  Ask reference staff for assistance.




Microform Reader

The library has a reader printer for microfilm and microfiche on the 1st floor of the library.  Ask reference staff for assistance.



Multi-Device Charging Stations 

There are four (4) charging stations located around the library.

CARL Home Page