Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

CARL: Copyrights


For Students

Copyright permissions are required for MMAS theses and SAMS monographs.  These become openly accessible via the CARL’s Digital Library after graduation.

Please visit the Copyright Office at the CARL in RM C118 with a copy of the material you’d like to include in your thesis or monograph along with the citation at minimum one month before your final deadline.

Materials in the public domain are recommended, to include .mil and .gov websites, Center for Military History publications, Library of Congress materials, and more.  Please see the Copyright Office for additional information.


Office Hours and Location:

Eisenhower Hall, Rm C118

8:00a.m - 11:00pm

1:00pm - 3:00pm

Should you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, contact the Copyright Office via our Ask a Librarian service.

Mailing Address:

US Army Command and General Staff College

Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library

ATTN: Copyright Office

250 Gibbons Avenue

Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027-7800

For Faculty

Copyright permissions are required for any copyrighted work used as a part of curriculum.

Please fill out the Copyright Permissions Request Form.  All copyright requests require 8-12 weeks, so please allow an appropriate amount of time when requesting permission.  There are major publishers that require extended amounts of time to process and approve requests.  Approval from the Copyright Office must be in hand before reproducing, uploading or using material.  Each copyright permission is obtained for one academic year, so materials used annually must be requested annually.


  • Can't I claim fair use?

The library does not provide fair use analysis or legal advice, only copyright permissions.  All risk assessments and legal opinions should come from the local JAG office.

  • But I cited the work, isn't that enough?

Citing a material does not excuse the need for copyright permission.

  • I found it on the internet!  That doesn't need copyright, does it?

All works not your own still require permission to use.

  • How long does it take to obtain a permission?

Unfortunately, it depends.  Large publishing houses typically require 8 - 12 weeks to respond.  Copyright owners or authors that are difficult to find or contact can also require several weeks due to research and response times.

  • How much does a copyright permission cost?

Again, this depends.  The amount of material required of the total work, how the material will be used, and other factors go in to determining cost.

  • What is the legal status of us using YouTube videos in our official lesson plans?

Anything we use in the curriculum or in the classroom should be a legal copy.  If a YouTube video is a legal copy, legally posted and is not an infringement, there is no issue in using it in the classroom.  Posting a link to a legal copy is always a preferred option.




CARL Home Page